An LMS manages learning content for online learning. A TMS manages the typical activities and admin procedures involved in delivering either conventional learning or eLearning.
Schools, colleges, universities, and registered training organisations (RTOs) use a software program called a Student Management System (SMS) to handle the complexities of:
- enrolling or booking students,
- handling payments, funding claims and invoices,
- scheduling courses,
- organising: class rooms / trainers / meals / books,
- managing assignments,
- marking attendance,
- scheduling and marking exams,
- notifying teachers, students and parents,
- identifying requirements for extra study,
- complying with state and national reporting requirements,
- issuing and registering certificates,
- providing student resources / time tables / tools to provide anonymous feedback and complaints,
- registering and following areas for ongoing improvement
- recording results,
- issuing certificates and letters
Bluegem is a web based Student Management System (SMS), also called a Training Management System (TMS), or a Learning Management System (LMS), or an RTO System. These terms have roughly the same meaning though the industries involved tend to have a preference. For example schools and colleges deal predominantly with students in academic programs would tend to use the term Student Management System (SMS), while registered training organisations (RTOs) who offer industry based training would tend to use the term Training Management System (TMS), or RTO system.
Online learning is almost exclusively managed by a Learning Management System (LMS), but medium to large corporations also tend to use the term LMS as it applies to employee learning and development. So it is quite appropriate to refer to Bluegem as all 3.